Following the Fire incidents that occurred on Friday, 20 th October, 2017, some measures were outlined for implementation, in order to ensure the overall safety of employees and visitors. One such measure is the training of emergency fire wardens to assist in early fire detection combat and evacuation.
The training programme which was held on Friday, November 3, 2017 at the Ministry’s Conference room Annex was in two session; theory and practical’s was conducted for eleven (11) staff, comprising two (2) nominees from each floor of the main building and a nominee from each floor of the new block.
Purpose of the Training The training aimed at training fire wardens who in times of emergencies will:
- Assist in implementing and improving effective emergency procedures in your workplace;
- Help prevent emergencies by monitoring the adequacy of the fire risk control measures;
- Raise awareness with other staff about the fire hazards that exist in your workplace;
- Instruct workers in how to respond in an emergency;
- Lead the fire drills and real evacuation procedures – they must be familiar with all escape routes and exits from their designated area;
- Ensure all workers are accounted for during an evacuation; and
- Assist all people in the workplace should an emergency occur, including
- Assisting people with special needs, e.g. helping someone in a wheelchair to evacuate.
The training course contained the following models; layout of the building, Role of Fire Warden, causes of fires, the fire triangle, fire prevention, how fire behaves and spread, fire and smoke detection system, raising fire alarms, fire extinguishers and firefighting and fire evacuation and escape.
OUTCOME OF THE TRAINING
The interactive training exercise placed the selected staff in a best position to prevent early fires and assist with evacuation, escape and rescue during emergencies, taking into consideration the relevant topics in the module. At the end of the training, participants had knowledge of fire safety and emergency evacuation plan.
It is recommended that;
1. The training exercise is conducted for the fire wardens at least twice a year so as to get participants well prepared for any emergencies.
2. Fire training exercise is conducted for security personnel and cleaners.